Friday, February 13, 2009

Phew

Well, I have finally done it. Last Thursday at 12:10 I successfully defended my master's thesis. It only took me 3.5 years. Everyone on my committee said I gave a great presentation and I answered all of their questions to everyone's satisfaction. I have only to make some minor changes to my thesis and turn it in in 6 weeks and I will graduate this coming June as Isaac J. Washburn MS.

I can now work on my doctorate, which I plan on completing in 1.5 years. I realize you must be asking yourself how I plan to complete a doctorate in 1.5 years when it took me 3.5 years to get a little master's degree. Multitasking.

I have spent the last 3 years getting everything ready for these last 2 years. I spent three years getting all of my classes out of the way, not just for my master's thesis but also my doctorate. So now I have a very short list of things left to do in graduate school:

Reapply to the program in order to be recognized as a PhD candidate

Write and defend my comprehensive exam

Write and defend my dissertation proposal

Write and defend my completed disseration.

The end is in sight.

In one year and 4 months I am going to make all of you call my Dr. Washburn for at least a week.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Congrats! Isn't it great to have one thing done and finally be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel? I bet Katrina is so excited. And, hey, I'll start calling you Future Dr. Washburn right now if you like.

Please enjoy... said...

congrats. but the dr thing wont happen. if you'll ever try to make me say dr to you, i'll call you kat's dog instead. HAHAH. JK! I'm having a cold and that might be cause of my rudeness (ask Kat...)