Friday, November 21, 2008

Sleep

When do we go from not wanting to go to sleep, to wishing we could take naps again. I remember in high school being tired a lot, but I never really longed for a nap like I do now, or better yet a day where all I had to do was eat in between naps until it was time to go to bed..... ........ ........ ....... ....... ........ ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... hmmm that was a nice daydream, but back to business. Katrina and I are not morning people, the kids are though... well Lizzy likes to get up at 6, and though she usually wakes up screaming, or I guess she wakes us up screaming, she quickly wakes up and wants attention. My only real experience with the whole kids getting up in the morning thing before Lizzy was born were Christmases with the Washburns and watching Ephraim & Kimm and Seth & Tiff dealing with their kids. There are some great stories from those Christmases, like getting up to find Seth asleep on the couch next to Connor who is upside down and asleep and both watching a scary movie (I think it was a scary movie of some kind, it did have a big dinosaur in it and the kids kept talking to it, I think they were begging for mercy, I know I was). Or the year Josh and Caleb were sleeping on the floor between the beds that Ammon and I were using and Josh would wake us up every two hours asking for something (like the blanket that had slid down to his knees and the sippy cup that I went upstairs looking for and couldn't find only to have Josh show me he was sleeping on it when I came back downstairs, Ephraim thought it was funny when I told him the next day and now I finally understand what was so funny)

Anyway... wait what was the point of this post... oh yeah, the wonder that is sleep. Sleep is wasted on babies, but then according to Katrina, Lizzy + Sleeping = Katrina + Sanity. I can't complain though, I am at work or class and so when Lizzy is sleeping I don't know it. Katrina has to put Lizzy down for nap fully knowing that she won't get one (at least not all of the time), by the way I am totally fine with Katrina taking naps when Lizzy naps. I thought it was because I love her and frankly she deserved the nap, but my wiser older brother informed me that since we are now one, when she naps, I do too (well actually he said that when she wins, I do too, but I think that works for naps too... nap on Katrina, nap on).

Naps are good (though Katrina has since taught me that threes hours sleeping, even in the middle of the day, is not a nap, so they are not as great as they once were), but sleep, true 8-17 hours(yes I did sleep for 17 hours once in college, if you are good I might tell that story later) of night-time, curled up and warm sleep is one of the greatest things in the world. Another would be buying ice cream for Katrina, I always feel like a real hero (not like the silly ones on that show with the cheerleader) when I bring home ice cream.

I think that if I live to see a spaceship going to the Mars or Venus or deep space nine and Katrina has left for the celestial kingdom (she made me promise that she gets to go first, always has to win), I will sign up for a mission. Can you imagine months and months of sleeping..... ...... ...... ..... ... .... better than the first daydream. Anyway, I should go. I need to exercise if they are going to pick for that mission to Mars.

6 comments:

Katrina said...

I always think you're a heor when you get me ice cream, too. In fact, I could use a hero right now.

Tiffany W. said...

I think you needed to sleep when you wrote this blog! I was so confused! :)

California Washburns said...

I remember that Christmas as well. I was just glad that you guys were sleeping with the boys and I could take a break! I guess I owe you one!

California Washburns said...

As a side note...I saw Twilight and I think I liked it, for the most part! Of course there were some cheesy and slow parts, in which you could definitely catch up on some sleep.

California Washburns said...

I just noticed that you keep saying "kids"...are you announcing something?

Fowie said...

Are you _SURE_ it was only 17 hours? I thought it was at least three days straight... We all thought you were dead but when we send Jared in to find out you rolled over, so we left you alone...